Five Officers to be Honored Posthumously
Five Louisiana law enforcement officers that died in the line of duty in 2013 will be commemorated by the Louisiana Commission on Law Enforcement in a special Medal of Honor Ceremony on Thursday, September 18, 2014 at 9:00 a.m. at the Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center in downtown Baton Rouge. The Louisiana Law Enforcement Medal of Honor was established by the Louisiana Legislature in 1997 to recognize the service and ultimate sacrifice made by law enforcement officers for the protection and safety of the citizens of Louisiana.
This year, the Commission will award the Medal of Honor to the following officers:
1) Sergeant Frederick Albert “Rick” Riggenbach, Chitimacha Tribal Police Department
2) Deputy Steven George Netherland, Vernon Parish Sheriff’s Office
3) Police Officer II Rodney Renee Thomas, New Orleans Police Department
4) Deputy Jeff G. Watson, St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office
5) Deputy Dustin Blake Hamilton, East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office
At the conclusion of this year’s ceremony, the number of Medal of Honor recipients will have reached a total of 82 since the program’s inception.
For further information, contact the Louisiana Commission on Law Enforcement in
Baton Rouge, LA at (225) 342-1500.